Friday, June 09, 2006

What little kids can't do

Tonight I had a microwave dinner that contained chinese noodles. As usual, Rachel was interested in what I was eating and came over for a look. She was fascinated with the noodles and decided to try some. Rachel stuck her hand in the bowl and fished out a noodle and tried to put it in her mouth. Her initial attempts were unsuccessful, the noodle kept getting away from her.

Now the logical way to eat a long noodle is to stick one end in your mouth and suck the rest into your gullet. I'm not sure why this astonishes me but Rachel has no idea how to do this! I tried to explain how to do it to her several diffrent ways. I modeled it for her. I stuck a noddle in my lips and sucked it into mouth. Rachel didn't get it, she looked at her noodle and tried to stuff the entire thing into her mouth again. It didn't work.

I figured that I would break down the skill into smaller parts. I tried to show her how to suck air into her mouth. She didn't get it. I put her hand on my mouth and showed her how I suck air into it. She giggled because it tickled her hand.

The end result was that Rachel did not learn how to easily eat noodles today. But the good news is that as I sit here I notice that she has mastered the art of spitting water out of her mouth. Oh well, 1 step forward - 2 steps back.

No comments: